When i tell people about me pursuing psychology as a major, without fail there will always be surprised looks. The gaping faces, the; omg are u serious??, are u sure about that?, what's the working field like?, u urself will be mental etc etc i've seen/heard it all.
It took me awhile to convince myself too. I guess i am lucky in a sense that i still have the chance to choose, without losing much. I like having options even for doing things that i know i don't like to do, and by picking the one that i like the most over the other things, and being able to get it, makes me feel supreme somehow. So now i'm basically downsizing my options to only psychology. Even though it's a relief that i finally have a solid aim to reach and not just to study because of the sake of the exams but for the idea that i might need it to help others one day with i have, i am afraid. I am afraid of the opportunity costs, the things that might benefit me more that i had failed to see now. I don't want to go one day and say 'menyesal amek psycho' which i doubt now, but we will never know right.
A couple of people had came up to me and asked me to analyze them, see how their personality is, and maybe they are expecting me to know what's on their mind even though i had only known them for less than an hour. I can't do that unless i know them from years, and not because of analyzing, it's by interacting. One thing that i learned from psychology is to not judge which apparently was what they asked me to do. I actually can analyze them but of course, i think it's defying their own rights although i have their consent. And all the psychometric tests are theoretical anyway. So, rest assured, i am the least judging person you'll ever meet and psychology is definitely helping me to maintain it.
Another random question is that if i am learning about the supernatural stuffs. This is funny because i think almost everything that i'm learning is related to the 'supernatural' stuffs, it's just that it's explained in a more explainable manner (?) Although the theories may not be 100% true, but it helps psychologist and people in general to learn to relate better with each other and of course, intervention can be provided for a better social living. I learned things that i can use to relate to why i pray, why i need religion, the power of doa, and even the rule of karma. Truthfully, studying had never been this interesting.
Studying psychology does not mean that i am going to work in the mental field. I can if choose to but there are so many other options and branches of psychology, which means i do not necessarily have to be a psychiatrist. It's like medicine, where at one point you can choose your specialization, whether if it is as a gynecologist, heart surgeon, or even neurologist and such. In the case of psychology, there are options of educational psychology, clinical, industrial, abnormal, and the list goes on. I can take psychology and work at a hospital as a health advisor, or go into the teaching field as a lecturer or counsellor, or work in the market research department in any firms. I still have options, and i think i wouldn't mind doing any of it.
I would very much like to be a doctor, but i am sort of put of by the idea as to being in a country where the medical fees are so high and the idea of being caught up in the circle is sickening with the thought of the people that i could 'kill' because they could not afford my service. But if i were to work solo i don't think i can afford it. The idea is suppose to save people, not exploit them. I will respect anyone who is/wants to be a doctor with only this in mind till the day i die. I've decided that i want to work things around, which is by attempting to change people's behavior and perception to one self and others, in order to save them with myself included too.
So next in the plan is to ACE the trials andddd the finals! Today is suppose to be hardcore econs but hehehe i am yet to begin. Going to UK is absolutely no longer in the alternative now. The more i think about it the more i feel like it is better for me to go to US, considering how flexible the education system is. I plan to take Comparative Religion and History as my minor, because i feel like there's more to learn about what i know now. Perhaps Journalism or English Writing Skills too because my english writing is... yeah. And now the problem is finding the best way to get there, which i'll do right after the trials.
One thing for sure is that i am undeniably lucky to have supportive people surrounding me. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment